Monday, August 26, 2013

The Most Beneficial Exercises

I gained the most benefit from the Loving-Kindness exercise and the Meeting Aesclepius exercise. With the Loving-Kindness exercise I had to focus on another individual and think positive thoughts about them. I think the weirdest thing for me was actually focusing energy and thoughts on a person that gave me good feelings. Allowing myself to experience good feelings for them through this exercise helped me to think about others and not so much myself or the negativity I sometimes feel when focusing on myself.
The Meeting Aesclepius exercise was interesting for me. It was not an easy one for me to do because I could not actually visualize someone who passed nor could I put myself in any type of exercise that involved making up a person. I think being able to experience negative feelings, though, and work myself through those feelings of loss was very beneficial for me. I was able to pull myself out of it--I have never been able to do that before. Usually, the negative feelings swallow me and I find myself engulfed before I know it. All in all, incorporating these exercises into my daily life would just involve experiencing them on a regular basis in order to improve my "mental fitness". Both would be extremely helpful in my daily struggle with depression and anxiety.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda, I am glad that you found the exercises to be beneficial. I can relate the struggling with both depression and anxiety and trying to deal with these aspects in everyday life. I think that these exercises have helped with these struggles. Engaging in the processes everyday can have a positive impact on your health and the way that you live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    I did not have anyone that readily came to mind either so it was a difficult exercise for me. It sounds though that you were able to benefit from it and it is great that you were able to banish those negative thoughts. I think we are our own worst critics. I often struggle with those inner voices that tell me I am not good enough. I have a perfectionist tendency to try to combat those voices because I want so desperately to prove them wrong. This makes me stress about things more than I should which in turn makes me beat myself up even more...it is a vicious cycle. Anything you can do to help combat those negative thoughts, that are just lies, is a great thing.

    Do you have a specific plan in place to incorporate this more often?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,

    That is wonderful that those exercises were beneficial to you. I'm the opposite. The loving kindness exercise doesn't work for me. Meeting Aesclepius didn't work that great either; however, I was able to focus on my Grandmother who means the world to me, so that part was nice. The rest of it did nothing for me really. The Subtle Mind exercise the the very first relaxation exercise were ones that I found most beneficial. It's interesting how very different each of us are in our experiences with these exercises. Good luck to you!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    The Meeting Aesclepius exercise was interesting but I could not stay focus. I kept drifting in and out or thinking about things I had to do or wanted to do. I could not visualize anyone because the only person I wanted to visualize was my mother and I was afraid that I might feel sadness or pain by visualizing her. I probably could have gained focus if I had not been thinking of my mother. I am glad you were able to achieve some benefits that will enable you in better mental health for your depression and anxiety.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete